Greece travel guide




Athens Travel Guide

Red Tape & Visas in Greece

Greece is both a partner of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA). All EU nationals (including citizens of new member states) may enter Greece with a valid national ID card; this includes non-partners states affiliated with the European Union, such as Monaco and Andorra. Citizens from EEA states that are not partners of the EU (such as Switzerland, Norway, and Iceland), may also enter Greece with a valid national ID card.

Only a valid passport is required of all non-EU and non-EEA nationals, and most are also required to achieve a visa. Citizens of select countries, including Argentina, Australia, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Hong Kong SAR, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, and the United States, are permitted a 90-day visa-free stay. Citizens of Brazil and Uruguay are permitted a 60-day visa-free stay. For visits longer than three months consult the Greek Embassy near you.

Greece is a guarantor of the Schengen agreement along with Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Iceland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, and Sweden. There are no passport checks when traveling between any two Schengen countries. A non-Schengen national who plans on visiting multiple Schengen countries -and who needs a tourist visa to visit them- may do so on just one visa from one Schengen country; but he is best advised to specifically achieve the visa for the first country he will be visiting.

Visa Requirements
  • A completed and signed visa application form.

  • A valid passport or Travel document.

  • A valid Alien Resident Card or a visa to the U.S. (except for B1/B2).

  • Bank and credit card statements for the last 3 months.

  • The W-2 Forms for the last 2 years.

  • Official itinerary with closed dates of travel (flight reservation).

  • Visas of countries you will visit after you exit Schengen State (if applicable).

  • Reference letter from employer stating position and monthly or annual salary. If you have your own company, you must submit a letter from the bank that you do business with, stating that the corporation is in good status.

  • Hotel reservations or proof of participation in group travel. If you are invited by a friend or family you have to submit: a letter of invitation, that is an official declaration signed by the family member or friend who is inviting you and notarized by the appropriate Authorities of the country in question, concerning your lodging. If you are traveling on business you must submit business references.

  • One recent passport size color photo

Applicable only to foreign student on F1 visas:
  • Valid I-20
  • Letter of reference from educational institution (school/college/university) stating that you are in good standing, your major and the expected date of graduation.

  • Make sure that your passport will be valid three (3) months after the date you exit the Schengen states.

  • Minor children cannot apply for their own visa. Both parents have to appear in person and sign the application in front of a consular employee. Since visa fee varies, ask the consular employee for your visa fee.

  • When traveling to Greece on a tourist visa you are required to have travel insurance that covers you in case of medical or other emergencies for the duration of your trip.

About us | Contact us | Privacy | Legal terms | Disclaimer | EHIC

© 2005 - 2019 - Greece travel guide