1. In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, lemon rind and oil.
2. Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the egg mixture in the well then gradually bring the mixture together using your hands. Knead the dough until firm.
3. Divide the dough into 4 and roll out each portion into a paper thin square with a floured rolling pin on a lightly floured surface. Cut the rolled out dough portions into 4 triangles.
4. Heat the oil to 180C/350F, then drop one triangle into the hot oil. As soon as it turns pale and bubbly, quickly remove from the oil and, using two large forks roll into a cylindrical shape. Set aside. Repeat with the remaining triangles.
5. Making sure the oil is still hot, return the rolled up triangles to the oil and cook until golden brown. Remove from the fryer and allow to cool.
6. Meanwhile, place the honey and sugar in a saucepan and heat until boiling, spooning off any froth that forms.
7. To serve - transfer the pastries to a serving platter, drizzle the honey syrup over the top then sprinkle with the cinnamon and walnuts if using.