Greece Recipes: Yaourtopita
For the Syrup
- 250g/9oz Plain Flour
- 1 teasp Baking Powder
- 1/2 teasp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 225g/8oz Butter
- 350g/12oz Sugar
- 6 Eggs Yolks, beaten
- 6 Egg Whites
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Plain Yoghurt
- 450g/1lb Sugar
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Water
- The juice of 1/2 a Lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 3 and grease a 20cm/8-inch cake tin. Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together several times into a large bowl. Set aside
2. In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then gradually add the beaten egg yolks mixing well between each addition.
3. Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the yoghurt, and beat until smooth.
4. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff then fold into the cake mixture. Pour into the greased tin and bake for about 45 minutes.
5. Remove the cake from the oven, remove from the tin and allow to cool.
6. To serve - boil the sugar, water and lemon juice for 5 minutes then pour over the cooled cake.