Greece Recipes: Taramasalata
Serves 4 Cold Fish Seafood Dip Hors d'oeuvre Starters Accompaniment Eggless Greece Europe Mediterranean
- 175g/6oz Sliced White Bread, crusts removed
- 150ml/5fl.oz. Milk
- 75g/3oz Smoked Cod or Grey Mullet Roe
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, grated
- 4 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- Black Olives to serve
- Lemon Wedges to Serve
- Pitta Bread to serve
1. Crumble the beard into a mixing bowl, add the milk and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, remove the skin from the roes.
3. Place the roe and soaked bread mixture into a food processor or blender and process for a few seconds.
4. Add the lemon juice, onions and garlic to the blender and continue to process but do not over-blend as the mixture should be firm.
5. Transfer to a bowl, cover and leave for a few hours to allow the flavours to develop.
6. To serve - transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with olives and serve as a starter or dip with lemon wedges and pitta bread.