Roasted Beef with Aubergine
Serves 4 Hot Beef Vegetables Main Course Gluten Wheat Dairy Free Eggless Greece Europe Mediterranean|
- 1kg/2.2lb Aubergines (eggplants)
- 1kg/2.2lb Braising Beef, cubed
- 2 large Tomatoes, cubed
- 2 large Onions, roughly chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped Parsley
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Olive Oil
- Approx 120ml/4fl.oz. Water
- 1 teasp Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
1. Slice the aubergines lengthwise and cut into 5 cm/2-inch lengths. Place them in a bowl of cold salted water and soak for 30 minutes.
2. In the meantime, place the beef in a large saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil and cook on a high heat for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C,400F, Gas Mark 6.
4. Remove the beef from the pan, reserving the cooking liquor and arrange the beef and drained aubergines in an oven proof dish.
5. In a bowl, mix together the tomatoes, onions, garlic, parsley, lemon juice and 240ml/8fl.oz. of the reserved beef stock.
6. Pour the tomato mixture over the beef and then drizzle the oil and water over top.
7. Reduce the temperature to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 4 and bake for a further hour.
8. Turn off oven and leave for a further 20 minutes uncovered. Serve warm or at room temperature.