Greece Recipes: Psaria Plaki
Serves 4 Hot Fish Main Course Eggless Greece Mediterranean Europe|
- 1 x 1.2kg/2-1/2lb Whole Red Snapper
- Sea Salt
- The Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp freshly chopped Oregano
- Black pepper
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1tbsp freshly chopped Parsley
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 1 Bay Leaf, crumbled
- 450g/1lb New Potatoes, sliced
- 6 Tomatoes, sliced
- 25g/1oz Fresh White Breadcrumbs
- 1 Lemon, sliced
1. Clean, scale and gut the fish but leave the tail and head on.
2. Make 3 diagonal cuts about 2.5cm/1 inch apart and 12mm/1/2 inch deep into thickest part of fish then sprinkle with the salt.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the lemon juice, oregano, and black pepper then press this mixture into the slits.
4. Oil a large shallow ovenproof dish with 1 tablespoon of the oil , lay the fish in the dish, then brush with another tablespoon. Cover and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4. Heat 60ml/2fl.oz. of oil in a frying pan, add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
6. Add the crumbled bay leaf, parsley and garlic, mix well and remove from the heat.
7. Spread the onion mixture over the fish, then add a layer of potatoes then tomatoes. Drizzle 4 tablespoons of oil over the top then sprinkle on the breadcrumbs. Arrange the lemon slices overlapping down the centre and bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.