Greece Recipes: Moussaka
Serve 4 Hot Lamb Vegetables Alcohol Main Course Greece Europe Mediterranean
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 675g/1-1/2lb Minced Lamb
- 4 Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- Salt & Pepper
- 120ml/4 fl.oz. White Wine or stock
- 675g/ 1-1/2lb Aubergines (Eggplant )
- 120ml/4 fl.oz Oil
- 25g/1oz Butter
- 25g/1oz Plain Flour
- 300ml/ 10 fl.oz. Milk
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 100g/4 oz Mature Cheddar Cheese
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion, parsley, garlic and lamb. Brown lightly turning occasionally. Add a little water to prevent from burning.
2. Skin the tomatoes, chop and add to the pan with the tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper then add the wine. Mix well and simmer for about 40 minutes. Remove from the heat.
3. Cut the aubergines into 6mm/ 1/4 inch thick slices and dust with flour. Fry over a medium heat until brown them drain on kitchen paper.
4. Lightly grease a large casserole and arrange 2/3rds of the aubergines in the bottom. Add the meat mixture then top with the remaining aubergines. Leave to stand. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas mark 4.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes stirring. Remove from heat and gradually add the milk, little by little, stirring all the time. Return to heat and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring constantly, until thickened.
6. Remove from heat and allow to cool a little, then add the egg yolks and half the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Pour the sauce over the aubergine and lamb in the casserole and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
8. Bake in the oven for 1 hour. If the top seems to be browning too quickly, cover with a lid or foil and uncover for the last 10 minutes.