Greece Recipes: Kourabiedes
- 250g/9oz Unsalted Butter
- 100g/4oz Caster Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 teasp Vanilla Essence
- 3 tbsp Brandy
- 450g/1lb Plain Flour
- 1 teasp Baking Powder
- 125g/-5oz Almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Rose Water
- 400g/14oz Icing Sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 190C, 375F, Gas Mark 5 and lightly flour some baking sheets.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time mixing well between each addition then mix in the vanilla and brandy.
4. In another mixing bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder then add to the butter mixture with the almonds mixing well. Knead it lightly in the bowl until smooth.
5. Roll walnut-sized pieces into a ball and then flatten between your palms and place them well apart on the floured baking sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
6. Sift a quarter of the icing sugar onto a large platter.
7. Once cooked, remove the biscuits from the oven and immediately sprinkle with the rose water then place them on the sifted icing sugar whilst still hot and sift the remaining icing sugar over the top.