Greece Recipes: Kotopoulo me pilafi
Serves 4 Hot Poultry Herbs Grains Main Course Gluten Wheat Free Dairy Free Eggless Greece Europe Mediterranean
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Large Chicken Quarters
- 1 large Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped Oregano
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped Thyme Leaves
- 1 x 400g/14oz tin Tomatoes
- 300ml/10fl.oz. Water
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 175g/6oz Long Grain Rice
- Freshly chopped Parsley to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan until hot then add the chicken pieces and brown on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until lightly browned.
3. Add the oregano, thyme, tomatoes and water, mix well and bring to the boil.
4. Season with salt and pepper then add the chicken pieces, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring from time to time and turning the chicken pieces.
5. Once cooked, remove the chicken pieces with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Increase the heat until the cooking liquid boils then add the rice, more seasoning and half of the parsley. Mix well, cover and simmer very gently, without stirring, for about 10 minutes, until the rice feels cooked but is still a little hard. Add a little hot water during the cooking if necessary.
6. Replace the chicken pieces on top of the sauce, cover the saucepan first with a tea towel and then its lid and let it stand for 10 minutes before serving, so that the rice still cooks in its steam and fluffs up. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley just before serving.