Greece Recipes: Halvas Tou Fournou
For the syrup
- 50g/2oz Plain Flour
- 2 teasp Baking Powder
- 1/4 teasp Salt
- 350g/12oz Semolina
- 100g/4oz finely chopped Pine Nuts
- 175g/6oz Butter
- 225g/8oz Sugar
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 210ml/7fl.oz. Milk
- The grated zest of ˝ a Lemon
- 675g/1˝lb Sugar
- 720ml/24fl.oz. Water
- 3 Cloves
- 2.5cm/1-inch piece of Cinnamon Stick
1. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 3 and lightly grease a 20cm/8-inch cake. Sift together four, baking powder and salt; into a large mixing bowl then mix in the semolina and nuts.
2. In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and a little of the milk and mix well.
3. Add the semolina mixture a little at a time, stirring after each addition and adding more of the milk as you go. Beat until just smooth.
4. Stir in the grated lemon zest then pour into the greased tin and bake for about 45 minutes.
5. 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, place the sugar, water, cloves and cinnamon in a saucepan, bring to the boil then continue to boil for about 5 minutes.
6. To serve - as soon as the baked Halva comes out of the oven pour the syrup over the top, having removed the cinnamon and cloves. Allow to cool then cut into squares. Serve with whipped cream.