Greece Recipes: Baklava
For the Syrup
- 400g/14oz Phyllo Pastry
- 350g/12oz Butter
- 400g/14oz Finely chopped Almonds or Walnuts
- 50g/2oz Sugar
- 1 teasp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teasp Ground Cloves
- 375g/13oz Sugar
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Honey
- The juice of 1 Lemon
- 360ml/12fl.oz. Water
1. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 3 and butter two 20x28cm 8x12 inch baking tins. Use tins that are about 5cm/2-inches deep.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix together walnuts or almonds (or half and half), sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
3. Butter 4 pieces of filo pastry and place in the buttered tin, trimming any excess if necessary, one on top of the other. Make sure you keep the unbuttered pastry covered with a damp cloth. Sprinkle the 4 sheets of pastry with a thin layer of the nut mixture then butter two more pasty sheets and place over the top of the nut mixture. Repeat in same manner until all ingredients have been used, ending with 4 pastry sheets.
4. Brush the top with butter and trim any edges with sharp knife. Cut diagonal lines the length of the tin to make diamond shaped pieces then sprinkle with water and bake for about 1 hour or until golden.
5. 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, place the honey, water, sugar and lemon juice in a large saucepan, bring to the boil, and continue to boil for about 5 minutes.
6. Remove the cooked baklava from the oven and pour the hot syrup evenly over the hot pastry. Allow to stand for 30 minutes to cool a little, then re-cut the diamonds. Serve warm or at room temperature.