Arnaki Fricassee me Maroulia
Serves 4 Hot Lamb Vegetables Stew Main Course Gluten Wheat Dairy Free Greece Europe Mediterranean|
For the Avgolemono Sauce
- 1kg/2.2lb boned lamb shoulder or leg of Lamb
- 600ml/20fl.oz. Hot Water
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Salt and White Pepper
- 6 Spring Onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Cos Lettuces, coarsely chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp Freshly chopped Dill
- 3 Egg Yolks
- The Juice of 2 Lemons
- Approx. 360ml/12fl.oz. Fresh Stock
1. Cut the boned meat into serving-size pieces and trim excess fat. Rinse and pat dry with kitchen paper.
2. Heat the oil in a large wide saucepan, add the meat with the chopped onion and sauté gently for a few minutes.
3. Add the hot water, mix well and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the lamb is cooked.
4. Add the lettuce, dill, salt and pepper to the lamb, and cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, place the egg yolks in a saucepan over a very low heat and whisk for two minutes.
6. Continue whisking whilst your gradually add the lemon juice.
7. Gradually whisk in the hot stock: the amount of stock depends on how thick you want the sauce. Do not boil.
8. To serve - pour the sauce over the meat, rotating the saucepan, heat gently for 1-2 minutes and serve immediately.