Best of Mykonos
Windmills in Mykonos|
The windmills are one of the best attractions of Mykonos which have gained fame in one of the James Bond Movies. Attractively aligned they overlook the bay of Mykonos. “The Windmills” are found south of Chora, in between the colorful Alefkandra and Neochori. They influence visitors with their all white overwhelming massive shapes, in a row facing the sea. Nowadays, seven in number have been preserved, out of the ten mills which until initiation of the 20th century, ground the local wheat using the constant power of the wind. The wind windmills of Mykonos, in cooperation with its several bakeries, contributed to the economic travel of the island, as it became a necessary stop, from the provisioning of paximadi (ship’s biscuit), for ships playing the Aegean.
Little Venice is a district, famous for its colourful balconies which is located close to the center of capital town of Mykonos . The sight of the Little Venice is incredible, bright and traditional houses have an excellent sight with the balcony's that hang over the sea. In late afternoon the privileged sight of the marvelous sunset in the specific area attracts visitors from all over the island. Here the buildings have been constructed right on the sea's edge with their balconies overhanging the water.
This is a fascinating asymmetrical hodgepodge of five chapels amalgamated into one. One of the most famous architectural structures in Greece. In this location, throughout the Middle Ages, there was a tall, fortified tower, side by side and above one of the entrances to the Kastro. Now there is a complex made up of five churches altogether, four on the ground level and on the floor above, the church of the Virgin, which is the oldest of all.
The Archaeological Museum of Mykonos was erected in 1902, in order to house the finds from the "Purification Pit" of 426-425 B.C., which was discovered in 1898 on the necropolis of Rhenia, by D. Stavropoulos. The original Neoclassical building assumed its present, "insular" form in 1934, and the large, eastern room, was added in 1972. Today, there is a great collection of vessels especially represented of Cycladic ceramics dating from the Geometric period until the 6th cent. B.C. Also on show are wonderful black figure and red figure pottery and diverse finds, including Hellenistic period gravestones and other sculpture. It is open from 08.30-15.00, Tuesday to Sunday. Monday being a holiday, the museum is closed on Monday.
Aegean Maritime Museum
The Aegean Maritime Museum is a totally non-profit institution that shows fine collection nautical of instruments and ancient vessels from the pre-Minoan period around the 19th century. It was founded in 1983 and in 1985 it opened its doors to the public, on the island of Mykonos in order to study and preserve the Greek maritime history and tradition, limited in the Aegean Sea.
One of Greece's most well-known archaeologic places, it is an island located to 2 km the west of Mykonos. The whole island has been declared a national museum. This Museum was erected in 1904 by the Archaeological Society at Athens and originally consisted of the five western rooms. The present display is organized in nine rooms. Six rooms house the statues and reliefs found in Delos (one of the best collections in the world), two rooms house pottery ranging from the prehistoric to the late Hellenistic period, and the ultimate one houses many objects of everyday life, found in the private houses.
The Monastery of Panagia Tourliani
This is located to 8 kilometres east of Mykonos, visitor can find the beautiful Monastery of Panagia Tourliani, founded in 1542 and then called the church of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary (“Eisodia tis Panagias”). The monastery was renovated in 1767 and took its actual name in dedication to the Blessed Icon of the Virgin Mary found in the area of Tourlos, benefactress of the island whose feast is celebrated on the 15th of August.
The Folklore museum of Mykonos
The Folklore museum of Mykonos (founded on May 1958) is located in the Venetian Castle and is housed in the one traditional construction of 18th century. The visitor of the museum will see an interesting collection from local costumes, tools and household effects of passed seasons, furnitures, ceramic objects and several main photographs of the island and historical documents.
Petros the Pelican
An old figure of the town's waterfront, "Petro" has been the official mascot of Mykonos for over 50 years. Initially the pelican was found after a storm back in the 1950s. After Petros died he was so popular that a new pelican was presented as a successor. Now there are two pelicans occupying the island, who can sometimes be found up in the town as well as at the port.
Post Byzantina Era Churches
The cathedral, Zoodoxos Pigi(Mitropoli), and Panachra, Agia Kyriaki, Agioa Nikolaos of the Harbor and Agia Eleni are a few of the various noteworthy post-Byzantine era churches found in the Chora, with characteristic architecture, beautiful icons and elaborately worked rood screens (there are more than 70 churches in the town, the majority of which have been declared historical monuments by the Ministry of Culture). The large number of chapels and churches on the island is the result of both a plethora of pledged offerings and the Mykonian custom of preserving the bones of their dead in the walls of family sanctuaries.