Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Soup Hors d'ouevre Starter Gluten Wheat Dairy free Greece Mediterranean Europe
1.1L/40fl.oz. Fresh Chicken Stock
125g/5oz Long Grain Rice
3 Egg Yolks
60ml/2fl.oz. Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper
4 thin slices Lemon to garnish
Freshly chopped Parsley to garnish
1. Place the stock in a large saucepan, bring to the boil, add the rice and stir well.
2. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
3. In a measuring jug whisk together the egg yolks and lemon juice until well blended.
4. Once rice is cooked, remove from heat and add about 240ml/8fl.oz. of the hot soup to the egg and lemon mixture and whisk vigorously to combine, then pour it back into the saucepan containing the soup and whisking constantly until well blended.
5. Return the pan to a medium heat, and bring to a simmer stirring constantly. Do not boil or it will curdle. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately garnish with the lemons slices and parsley.