Serves 4 Hot Game Alcohol Main Course Stew Gluten Wheat Dairy free Eggless Greece Europe Mediterranean
1 Large Rabbit, jointed
2 tbsp Tomato Puree
2 Bay Leaves
4 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
150ml/5fl.oz. Olive Oil
1/4 teasp Sugar
4 Garlic Cloves, roughly chopped
1 x 2.5cm/1-inch Cinnamon Stick
Salt and Black Pepper
4 whole Allspice
1 sprig Rosemary
150ml/5fl.oz. Red Wine (check manufacture)
300ml/10fl.oz. Hot Water
675g/1-1/2lb Button Onions, whole
1. Rinse the rabbit pieces and place them in a mixing bowl together with the bay leaves and vinegar. Mix well and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours
2. Remove the rabbit from the marinade and pat dry with kitchen paper. Heat half of the olive oil in a large saucepan until hot, add the rabbit and fry them in until quite brown on all sides.
3. Add the garlic, bay leaves, spices, rosemary, wine, tomato puree and sugar and the hot water. Season with salt and pepper, bring to the boil mixing well then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan, add the onions and saut gently for 15 minutes stirring occasionally, until golden all over.
5. After the rabbit has been cooking for 1 hour, add the onions and oil from the frying pan to the saucepan. Mix then re-cover and simmer for a further 15 minutes. Serve hot.