Serves 4 Hot Poultry Grains Nuts Dried Fruit Main Course Gluten Wheat Free Eggless Greece Europe Mediterranean Gluten Wheat Free
1 x 1.8kg/4lb Oven-ready Chicken plus giblets
2 teasp Salt
2 tbsp Pine Nuts
100g/4oz Long Grain Rice
2 tbsp Raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 3. Wash the chicken inside and out then rub the neck and body cavities lightly with salt. Chop the giblets into very small pieces.
2. Melt half the butter in a saucepan, add the pine nuts and saut until they turn pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Add the giblets to the pan together with the rice and saut , stirring, for 3 minutes
4. Add the pine nuts, water, raisins, salt and pepper mix well then cover and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
5. Fill chicken with the stuffing, packing it loosely, then sew or skewer the opening.
6. Place bird, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting tin, cover with aluminium foil and roast for 1-1/2 hours.
7. After this time, remove from the oven and remove the foil. Raise the oven temperature to 220C, 425F, Gas Mark 7. Spread the remaining butter over the breast and legs and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes. Serve hot.